[OpenAFS] Re: Maximum disk cache size

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:11:18 -0400

In message <djt3md$iu4$1@sea.gmane.org>,Joe Buehler writes:
>In that case, is there any documentation regarding how big a
>cache is supported and what to set the various afsd parameters
>to?  I lack understanding of the cache data structures and
>what chunksize is etc.

i believe everything is counted in blocks, where a block is 1024 bytes.
signed 32-bit numbers are used to store block counts.  this would
give an upper limit around 2T for the cache.

there have been some discussions on the openafs-devel list recently about
cache tuning.  check the archives.  the 1.4.x branch also has the "new"
default cache tuning (auto chunksize selection and different assumption
for average file size).

if you gave us a little more information some others might be able
to make some educated guesses.