[OpenAFS] Fileserver can't be managed from it self

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:49:18 -0400

On Friday, September 02, 2005 06:24:40 +0100 Jose Calhariz
<jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:53:14PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, August 29, 2005 03:32:55 PM +0100 Jose Calhariz
>> <jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>>

>> > I have a file server that I can manage remotely, but locally I can
>> > manage other machines but not the localhost.  I can do "vos examine" a
>> > any volume, but I can't do "vos listvol" of itself.
>> >
>> > I don't have a clue where to start looking for problems, as everything
>> > seems to be right.
>>
>> Exactly what command did you type?
>> Exactly what response did you get?
>
> The machine is called marta.
>

> root@marta> vos partinfo -server ana -partition /vicepa
> Free space on partition /vicepaa: 3337876 K blocks out of total 17767292
>
> root@marta> vos partinfo -server marta -partition /vicepaa
> Could not fetch the list of partitions from the server
> Possible communication failure
> Possible communication failure
>
> ana is a dbserver and fileserver.
> marta is only a fileserver.
>
> This are the kind of problems I see.  If I give this commands from
> another machine, I don't have any problem.

What happens if you type marta's IP address instead of its name in that
command?  Is it possible you have something bogus in /etc/hosts?

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer