[OpenAFS] OpenAFS in a production environment

Lester Barrows barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:52:29 -0700

In an out-of-band discussion, Jeffrey Altman has managed to convince me (not
an easy task mind you!) that Transarc AFS servers are more likely the cause
of our NAT troubles with AFS clients. For this reason I'm amending my initial
statement to say that if you access Transarc AFS servers, you should not put
AFS clients behind a NAT.

This is apparently due to IBM/Transarc AFS servers' UUID tracking not behaving
correctly when multiple clients come from the same IP. Since others here have
tested OpenAFS servers from behind a NAT and had no issues, I assume it works
fine unless multiple users behind the NAT access an AFS cell running Transarc
servers.

Regards,
Lester Barrows