[OpenAFS] Client start issues

Madhusudan Singh singh.madhusudan@gmail.com
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:33:12 -0400

Hi

On my Debian client, /etc/openafs/afs.conf.client reads as :

AFS_CLIENT=true
AFS_AFSDB=false
AFS_CRYPT=true
AFS_DYNROOT=true
AFS_FAKESTAT=true

The following URL is relevant to this email :

http://www.eos.ncsu.edu/remoteaccess/linuxopenafs.html#Debian (the end of the
section).

However, I am unable to start the client properly (afsd does not start - this
also happens during normal bootup), unless I supply a special option to the
SysV init command :

# /etc/init.d/openafs-client start
# ps -u root | grep "afs"
# /etc/init.d/openafs-client stop
Stopping AFS services:  libafs.
# /etc/init.d/openafs-client force-start
Starting AFS services: afsd: All AFS daemons started.
 afsd.
# ps -u root | grep "afs"
26331 ?        00:00:00 afs_rxlistener
26333 ?        00:00:00 afs_callback
26335 ?        00:00:00 afs_rxevent
26343 ?        00:00:00 afsd
26345 ?        00:00:00 afs_checkserver
26347 ?        00:00:00 afs_background
26349 ?        00:00:00 afs_background
26351 ?        00:00:00 afs_background
26353 ?        00:00:00 afs_cachetrim

The URL above suggests that this behaviour obtains if AFS_CLIENT=true is not
set in /etc/openafs/afs.conf.client, but that is clearly not the case here.

What could be going on ?

Thanks.