[OpenAFS] To read a file from a directory whose ACL is r-l (read permission but no lookup permission)

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:55:57 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 04:10:35PM +0300, acemi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want that users can't browse the directory's content (files list) but
> they can open/read a file if they know the name of the file. To do that
> I set r-l (read permission but no lookup permision) as ACL, but user
> can't read the file in this case.

AFAIK this is not possible but why would you want to do that? It's
"Security throug Oscurity" (aka "The Windows Way" ;-) ).

The "l"-Permission is more an "Enter the directory"- than a
"List the directory's content"-permission.

You could create seperate directories for all the files you want to protect
and change the ACLs os those directories as you like.

Regards,

Frank