[OpenAFS] OpenAFS server on windows- is it possible for it to survive a restart?

Julian Rendell wandering.womble@gmail.com
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:05:37 -0700

------=_Part_13314_17636313.1126746337755

Hi-

I'd like to try OpenAFS on a couple of Windows machines (one server, severa=
l=20
clients) - primarily to take advantage of it's client side caching &=20
higher-than-cifs network thru-put... this is to try and make a distributed=
=20
build system workable. (Currently windows file sharing is giving *terrible*=
=20
performance, even on a dedicated gigabit ethernet between two machines- onl=
y=20
marginally faster than 100 meg ethernet. Less than 1Mb/sec on average (we=
=20
have lots and lots of little files.))

I can install the server, configure it, and even use it. In cursory tests i=
t=20
appears to be performing very, very well- very promising.

However, as soon as the server machine is rebooted, all the OpenAFS service=
s=20
start crashing (nothing much in the logs)- repeatedly, during startup.=20
That's the end- have to remove and reinstall. All volumes etc seem to get=
=20
corrupted.

Unfortunately, trying with a *nix server isn't an option at this point in=
=20
time.

A couple of notes:
-the machine has two network adapters
-the host name !=3D dns entry for that ip address (dhcp issue.)

I've read the later can cause problems, but I can't find absolute=20
confirmation. I've also tried editing the hosts file, so DNS isn't used to=
=20
resolve that address.... but I've read OpenAFS doesn't use the hosts file..=
.
I've even tried reinstalling/rebooting with the extra ethernet card=20
disabled- still no luck.

Does anyone think it's worth re-trying with host name=3Ddns entry? (May be=
=20
possible to arrange)

Any other suggestions? A little off-topic, but does anyone know of anything=
=20
other than OpenAFS that's very cheap/free and faster than cifs? (Windows=20
cluster FSs seem to be very expensive.) I've tried NFS, both third party an=
d=20
MSs Unix services- a cheap/trial third party server seemed very fast, but=
=20
very unreliable; Unix services was no faster than built in CIFS. More off=
=20
topic: Anyone else seen this kind of problem with CIFS and have any=20
suggestions? (I've tweaked what registry settings I can find documentation=
=20
for, so far to little difference in thru-put.) I've got a reasonable=20
background understanding of things, but I'm not to familiar with configurin=
g=20
windows for FS performance...

Thanks in advance-

Julian

------=_Part_13314_17636313.1126746337755

Hi-<br><br>I'd like to try OpenAFS on a couple of Windows machines (one ser=
ver, several clients) - primarily to take advantage of it's client side cac=
hing &amp; higher-than-cifs network thru-put... this is to try and make a d=
istributed build system workable.&nbsp; (Currently windows file sharing is =
giving *terrible* performance, even on a dedicated gigabit ethernet between=
 two machines- only marginally faster than 100 meg ethernet.&nbsp; Less tha=
n 1Mb/sec on average (we have lots and lots of little files.))
ursory tests it appears to be performing very, very well- very promising.<b=
r><br>However, as soon as the server machine is rebooted, all the OpenAFS s=
ervices start crashing (nothing much in the logs)- repeatedly, during start=
up.&nbsp; That's the end- have to remove and reinstall.&nbsp; All volumes e=
tc seem to get corrupted.
ters<br>-the host name !=3D dns entry for that ip address (dhcp issue.)<br>
rmation.&nbsp; I've also tried editing the hosts file, so DNS isn't used to=
 resolve that address.... but I've read OpenAFS doesn't use the hosts file.=
..
abled- still no luck.<br><br>Does anyone think it's worth re-trying with ho=
st name=3Ddns entry?&nbsp; (May be possible to arrange)<br><br>Any other su=
ggestions?&nbsp; A little off-topic, but does anyone know of anything other=
 than OpenAFS that's very cheap/free and faster than cifs? (Windows cluster=
 FSs seem to be very expensive.)&nbsp; I've tried NFS, both third party and=
 MSs Unix services- a cheap/trial third party server seemed very fast, but =
very unreliable; Unix services was no faster than built in CIFS.&nbsp; More=
 off topic: Anyone else seen this kind of problem with CIFS and have any su=
ggestions?&nbsp; (I've tweaked what registry settings I can find documentat=
ion for, so far to little difference in thru-put.)&nbsp; I've got a reasona=
ble background understanding of things, but I'm not to familiar with config=
uring windows for FS performance...

------=_Part_13314_17636313.1126746337755--