[OpenAFS] Native Kerberos 5 authentication in openafs-1.4

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:20:11 -0400

>While probably not the case I can only hope that the exclusion of the tools
>is because they want to do a better job of inter operating with the KDC.
>In my opinion that would mean dropping the need for aklog and asetkey.
>After all aklog is basically a second authentication.

You are incorrect.  Aklog is simply the program that takes your Kerberos
tickets and makes them available to AFS (possibly getting a Kerberos
ticket for AFS, but it doesn't ask for a password).  In this sense, it
behaves just like every other Kerberized application.  If you arrange for
aklog to be run at login time, it becomes an essential component of
single sign-on (you don't have to use aklog per se, you can use a PAM
module that does aklog-like things).

>Why can't the
>authentication
>take place the same way as say, using an IMAP server?. You access the
>server,
>( cd to /afs ) and get asked for your credentials.

If you can figure out how to make this happen in a portable manner, let
me know.

>And asetkey simply puts the principal afs into a keyfile that afs knows how
>to read. Well, make afs read the kerberos key file where it is as it is.

That's not unreasonable.  I suspect sometime in the future someone will
do that.  But it's worth pointing out that you don't technically need
asetkey; you can use klist to read the raw key data (-K in MIT
Kerberos), and Heimdal already knows how to write a AFS KeyFile.  I'm
not saying asetkey won't get added, but there was a finite amount of
time before the 1.4 branch was cut, and I only had the free time to do
aklog.

--Ken