[OpenAFS] Native Kerberos 5 authentication in openafs-1.4

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:37:03 -0500

Earl Shannon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is just a minor point, and if using aklog is where things go
> then fine.  If I understand you correctly Ken, then aklog is getting
> my token/ticket as part of setting up a session at login as a
> separate application of sorts. And as I say that's fine. But my
> point is I don't get a ticker for say, IMAP, until I start a mail
> client and it attempts to login to the IMAP server.  I'm suggesting
> that the afs token/ticket doesn't need to be obtained until the
> user attempts to make use of AFS, ie, by cd 'ing into the AFS
> file system. And its at that point that the authentication to AFS
> occurs. Using aklog as part of a session setup is a "pre-authentication"
> of sorts.

Two comments here:

(1) One of the problems is that a cd /afs is done by the kernel,
where as Kerberos ticket caches are maintained in user space and pointed
at by environment variables.

The Opengroup's DFS did some thing similar to what you wanted to do
as the ticket caches where stored in /opt/dcelocal/var/security/creds/dcecreds_<PAG>
where <PAG> was the pag number in hex. The DFS kernel code could then ask the
dced (or was it a dfsd) daemon to get additional tickets as needed to access
the servers. In DFS each server had its own principal and key, unlike AFS
where there was one common key for all the servers in the cell. So as the DFS
kernel need to contact a different DFS server, it would need a new ticket.

NFSv4 has the same problem and I think they are trying to use gsspai and store
the tickets in the kernel. (I may be wrong on how they are doing it, but they
have the same problem of the kernel needing to get tickets.)

(2) You also asked, why aklog is not built. I would speculate, it has to do
with whose Kerberos do you build it against? MIT, Heimdal, or a vendor's
provided version? The APS community has supporters for all of these different
Kerberos implementations.  Sun and HP both provide thier own Kerberos with
their OSs. Some Linux provide both MIT and Heimdal. Kerberos does not have a
standard API like gssapi where an application like aklog could be built against
the API, and at runtime use the local version on the system.  How about a gssklog ;-)

> Now, since most sites using AFS put peoples home file
> space in AFS, the session setup getting the token is a good
> and currently necessary, thing. :)

It sure is.