[OpenAFS] Openafs client on a debian alppha (machine Alpha WS 500au)

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:25:16 +0200

* Padiyath Sreekumaran [2005-09-19 09:49:17 +0200]:
>    I have installed openafs-client SW on a Debian Alpha machine.
>    My kernel version is
>   # uname -a
> Linux lnsa14 2.2.20 #2 Wed Mar 20 19:57:28 EST 2002 alpha GNU/Linux

That's a rather old kernel. Debian sarge only ships 2.2 kernels for a
few architectures, not including Alpha. Would it be feasible for you to
upgrade to at least the 2.4 series? 2.6 is also available.

OpenAFS support for Linux 2.2 kernels was broken at one point. I seem to
recall that an attempt was made to fix it again in the 1.3 series
(definitely before 1.3.81; it's probably still broken in 1.2.13) so
maybe this doesn't explain your problem; still one can wonder how
much testing recent OpenAFS releases have had on Linux 2.2.

>    dpkg --list shows the following afs modules:
>
>    # dpkg --list |grep openafs
> ii  openafs-client 1.3.81-3sarge1 The AFS distributed filesystem- client
> suppo
> ii  openafs-module 1.3.81-3sarge1 The AFS distributed filesystem- Module
> Sourc
>

>    How can I find out why I get the error when I start afs?

You could try invoking afsd with the -debug option, to see how far it
gets.