[OpenAFS] newbie observations...

Jiann-Ming Su Jiann-Ming Su <sujiannming@gmail.com>
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:35:25 -0400

On 9/27/05, Chris Crowther <chris@jm-crowther.co.uk> wrote:
> Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
>
> > functionally the same thing if I use LVM and Automount, except I
> > wouldn't have the filesystem authentication.  Is there another aspect
> > of OpenAFS that I'm missing causing me to make this observation?
>
>         Other than LVM is only for local filesystems and AFS is a network=
 based
> filesystem?

Hmm... I guess each LVM volume would have to be mounted locally before
it can be exported for NFS.  Plus, there may be a limit on how many
LVM volumes you can have.  I guess OpenAFS essentially wraps all of
the things that you would have to otherwise do manually.

> > Also,  I'm not at the point where I can sniff the traffic yet, but is
> > the network traffic encrypted?   Thanks for any insights.
>
>         If you choose for it to be, it is.

And how do I verify that I've chosen it to be?

--
Jiann-Ming Su