[OpenAFS] transarc.com

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:39:49 -0400

On Wednesday, September 21, 2005 05:36:24 PM +0100 ed
<ed@ednevitible.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:18:38 +0100
> Chris Crowther <chris@jm-crowther.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 	Probably because Transarc doesn't exist anymore.  Even the
>> 	sub-domain
>> for transarc under ibm.com is gone.  It's formally IBM Pittsburgh
>> Labs, as far as I know.
>
> Isn't a domain name classed as assets though?

This question is so vaguely phrased as to be meaningless, but...
Domain names are not property and cannot be owned.

> The domain itself hasn't yet expired since 1989, I guess they must have
> sold it rather than let it expire, or the registrar sold it prior to
> expiry.

I'm not sure how you get "hasn't expired since 1989".  The record was
_created_ in 1989; that doesn't mean it hasn't ever been expired in the
time since then.  However, the system currently in place allows for a
registrar to reassign a name with essentially no grace period, once it
expires.

Had I known IBM was uninterested in maintaining the transarc.com domain and
making it point someplace useful, I would have done something about it.  I
doubt they resold it directly, based on the hoops we had to go through a
few years ago to get central.org transferred.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer