[OpenAFS] Trouble compiling 1.4rc4 SRPM

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:38:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Kevin!!

Kevin Coffman wrote:

>> Yea. I just decided to ignore those. I suppose I could try to build and
>> install fakeka if people seem to want it.
>

> fakeka comes with the MIT Kerberos code now and Heimdal already has afs
> stuff, so I don't think there's a need.

fakeka isn't built by default in MIT k5, and it isn't included with the
Red Hat krb5 packages. What I was trying to do was put together a set of
OpenAFS RPMs that would provide everything you'd need to test out or
upgrade an AFS server environment.

My thinking was that people could quickly set up a krb5 server using the
krb5 packages from Red Hat, and then add the OpenAFS server stuff on top
of that from the RPMs.

Generally, I assume that most people who are running a Red Hat system
would prefer to use the MIT k5 stuff that comes with Red Hat instead of
building their own (either MIT or Heimdal). If they build their own stuff,
they wouldn't be able to use the OpenAFS RPMs anyway. (since the RPM
packages are dynamically linked against the system krb5 libraries)

The best rationale for dropping fakeka that I can think of is to
discourage people from using it. (if the official policy of OpenAFS is to
encourage krb5-only authentication)

Thanks,

Chris
wingc@engin.umich.edu