[OpenAFS] Compatibility of openafs with suspend2 ?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:33:28 -0400

On Tuesday, September 27, 2005 05:53:44 PM -0400 Madhusudan Singh
<singh.madhusudan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Over the past 2-3 days, I have tried to add software suspend (using patch
> from  www.suspend2.net) functionality into the kernel (tried 2.6.12 and
> 2.6.13 -  openafs modules compile and install correctly with 2.6.12.5
> without this  patch) and each time, the compilation of openafs has failed.
>
> I am wondering if this is at all possible. If anyone has a working
> configuration, please post.

Well, since you just said "it failed" without posting any details, I can
only guess what problems you might be encountering.

In order to get OpenAFS to work with a 2.6.12 kernel with swsusp2, you will
need to undo a change made by the swsusp2 patches to the last line of
kernel/power/process.c.  Change

EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(refrigerator);

back to

EXPORT_SYMBOL(refrigerator);

Without this change, the OpenAFS module will fail to load.  I reported this
problem to the suspend2 maintainer a while ago, and while he says he made
the change, it hadn't been integrated as of 2.1.9.5 (I haven't looked yet
at 2.1.9.9, which is the latest version available for Linux 2.6.12).

To build against Linux 2.6.13, you will likely need the latest OpenAFS
release candidate, released today.  Unfortunately, we've just gotten word
that the source tarball on the web site is broken, so you might want to
wait a few hours until it's been replaced with a corrected one.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer