[OpenAFS] Firewall politics and AFS deployment

Tim Spriggs tims@lpl.arizona.edu
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:04:55 -0700 (MST)

Hi Simeon,

I am not an expert in AFS but I have setup an afs cell behind a firewall
that was publicly available. However, it is by far not the easiest setup
to install and it definitely makes life harder in troubleshooting.

Also, there can be some complications when fileserver machines have more
than one IP if they are not both global because they report their own
primary IP to the database servers automatically. This means that machines
can try to contact a non-routable IP if that is the ip for the primary
interface of the fileserver.

Our AFS cluster (still being tested and built) uses machines on global ip
addresses. Also, we put our afs information into DNS so that the cell can
be reached automagically by a default afs setup anywhere. Troubleshooting
has been very easy and has elminiated the guesswork of having a firewall
in front of the servers.

Hope this helps,
-Tim

  /++--._.--++\  .                     _.-._
                                            \
Lunar and Planetary Lab                     }>
(520) 626 - 4991 -- SS 416                 _/

1629 E. University Blvd.
University of Arizona