[OpenAFS] Re: AFSDB dns lookup

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:00:41 -0400

On Monday, April 03, 2006 08:35:18 AM -0700 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Pucky Loucks <ploucks@pixpo.com> writes:
>> Is it possible to set openafs to lookup the afsdb from dns on a mac
>> or rhel?
>
> As of 1.4.1-rc9, the Mac OS X client will check AFSDB by default;
> there is no need for additional configuration on the client.
>
>> And will that override the ip that is in the CellServDB?
>
> No; CellServDB always overrides AFSDB.  Sort of like /etc/hosts.

... except that on any vageuly modern system, you can make DNS override
/etc/hosts if you really want to, but you can't make AFS ignore the
CellServDB in favor of looking up AFSDB records.  I don't expect this ever
to change -- if you want to look up dbservers for a cell dynamically, don't
include that cell in the CellServDB.

-- Jeff