[OpenAFS] convertROtoRW

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:00:20 -0400

On Friday, April 07, 2006 09:38:29 AM +0300 Juha J=E4ykk=E4 <juolja@utu.fi> =

wrote:

> Hm.. in practise I think in this scenario, we'd probably just take the
> discs (which are still ok) from the dead server and stick them into a
> working one.

Right.  ConvertROtoRW is for cases where the RW volume has been=20
irretrievably lost; it should be treated like restoring from backups,=20
except it's a little more efficient.

Bear in mind that if you have an RO volume to convert, then you only have a =

service outage for people who want to _write_ to that volume.  In my=20
experience, if you have a dead fileserver, then those people probably can=20
wait.

> Will this cause any other problems except that we need to
> tell the VLDB that the volumes are on a different server now?

No.

> We can even
> make them appear on the same partition as they originally

You could, but that's completely unnecessary.

-- Jeff