[OpenAFS] How to store homedir for Linux, Solaris, Windows, OS X win AFS?

Jose Calhariz jose.calhariz@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 20:30:50 +0100

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

I would like hear experiences about the best way to store the homedir
for all OS inside the volume of the user, and others special dirs like
web, mail, backups.  I am searching in Google, but I didn't find
anything interesting until now.

In my campus the solution was to create individuals directories inside
the volume: linux, mac, sun, win, web, public, private, old_files,
Maildir.  The user only have permissions to read at the root of the
volume.  Inside this directories they have permissions to write or to
admin them.

user/john.dow/ linux
	       mac
	       sun
	       win
	       public
	       private
	       web
	       Maildir
	       old_files

But the University is implementing a new AFS cell, and is considering
a different design.  Give full permissions to the root of the user's
volume and place inside the special directories.

homedir is user/john.dow

the special directories are placed inside homedir, like this:

user/john.dow/
		mac
		public
		web
		backup
		old_files

I am asking for your's experience as a way to judge the pros and the
cons of the various approaches.

     Jose Calhariz

--=20
N=E3o acredite em extra terrestres, eles s=E3o muito mentirosos.

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR--