[OpenAFS] OpenAFS client on mandriva linux 2006: the solution

Matteo Alfonsi Matteo.Alfonsi@lnf.infn.it
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 16:09:28 +0200 (METDST)

Hi all,
at last I succeeded to install openAFS client on Mandriva 2006
distribution, so I post a brief summary, maybe it will be usefull to
someone in the future..

All the required packets are in the distribution if you add to the
Installation DVD other media on the web (in particular "Contrib"). You can
use the site http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to get help about the urpmi
commands to do.

Starting from a "just-installed" Mandriva 2006 distribution, after adding
these media, I installed in the following order:

1) flex, bison, byacc (but not sure they are required)

2) the sources of my kernel (the packet name is "kernel-source-<version>":
you can get the version of the running kernel using "uname -a")

3) dkms

4) dkms-libafs (It takes some minutes.. maybe it is compiling something. I
rebooted system after that, in order to have this new module loaded in the
kernel.. but not sure that it is required)

5) openafs, openafs-client

After that, you'll notice that the afsd daemon fails to start because the
file /etc/openafs/ThisCell is missing. I added manually with my favourite
cell name:
echo "cellname" >/etc/openafs/ThisCell
And now all works!!

That's all