[OpenAFS] Salvager did not run automatically on solaris 9, 1.4.1-rc10

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:10:24 -0400

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 05:49:50PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> I have to admit I'm a little curious why you switched from inode to namei
> on a Solaris server...

Interestingly, I have been considering moving to solaris as my afs server
platform (from linux) and have been wondering what the tradeoffs were
for using the namei vs. inode fileservers.

i'd always assumed that it was performance optimizations that led to the
inode fileserver design, rather than functionality.  And i used to lie
awake nights worrying about some Sun patch putting the OS's fsck back
in place.

I also have been thinking that ZFS is attractive, which would rule out
the inode server.  I doubt that is what the original poster is doing,
though - it's a bit early in zfs's lifecycle for that.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile