[OpenAFS] Some backup advice needed.

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:44:54 +0100

On Thu 20 Apr 2006 at 11:52:00 -0400, Steve Devine <sdevine@msu.edu> wrote:
> We use the native afs backup. We currently do a full backup of the whole
> cell weekly followed by daily incrementals until we cycle back to Monday
> midnight and start the next full.
> As the size of the cell (user vols ) grows our backup window is getting
> way too big. Often it stretches into late Wed before it completes.
>  I am wondering how many are doing weekly fulls? I am considering a
> monthly full with incrementals the rest of the month but thats kinda
> scary if maybe your full is not good.

We split our system into five parts on each server.  Each server
runs a full dump of part A on Monday, of part B on Tuesday, of
part C on Wednesday, of part D on Thursday, and of part E on
Friday, and each server runs an incremental dump everyday of
everything not included in the full dump for that day.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk