[OpenAFS] Problem with vos move

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler@rl.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:01:37 +0100

I have attempted to move a large (about 80 Gb) AFS volume from one
partition to another using the command:

vos move VOLUME MACHINE i MACHINE l

I left this running overnight and found the following error messages
when I checking this morning:

Failed to move data for volume 536871896
   rxk: sealed data inconsistent
vos move: operation interrupted, cleanup in progress...
clear transaction contents
FATAL: VLDB access error: abort cleanup
cleanup complete - user verify desired result

The current situation is:

1. The volume is on-line on the source partition, but the volume (VLDB
entry) is locked.  Here is the result of the command "vos listvol
MACHINE i:

Total number of volumes on server wallace partition /vicepi: 1=20
bfactory.vol2                     536871896 RW   83886080 K On-line

Total volumes onLine 1 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0

and the result of the command "vos listvldb bfactory.vol2":

bfactory.vol2=20
    RWrite: 536871896=20
    number of sites -> 1
       server wallace.cc.rl.ac.uk partition /vicepi RW Site=20
    Volume is currently LOCKED

2. The volume is off-line on the destination partition (same size and
same volume number).  Here is the result of the command "vos listvol
MACHINE l:

Total number of volumes on server wallace partition /vicepl: 1=20
bfactory.vol2                     536871896 RW   83886080 K Off-line

Total volumes onLine 0 ; Total volumes offLine 1 ; Total busy 0

Please note that the server is running IBM/Transarc version 3.6 (though
it may not matter in this case).

My questions are:

a) What went wrong ?
b) What chance is there that the volumes are identical ?  In other
words, is it possible that I can complete the move manually ?
c) Is there anyway to compare the 2 volumes ?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory