[OpenAFS] Problem with vos move

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) J.F.Wheeler@rl.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:05:46 +0100

MACHINE I":
> >=20
> > Total number of volumes on server wallace partition /vicepi: 1=20
> > bfactory.vol2                     536871896 RW   83886080 K On-line
> >=20
> > Total volumes onLine 1 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0
> >=20
> > and the result of the command "vos listvldb bfactory.vol2":
> >=20
> > bfactory.vol2=20
> >     RWrite: 536871896=20
> >     number of sites -> 1
> >        server wallace.cc.rl.ac.uk partition /vicepi RW Site=20
> >     Volume is currently LOCKED
> >=20
> > 2. The volume is off-line on the destination partition (same size
and
> > same volume number).  Here is the result of the command "vos listvol
MACHINE l":
> >=20
> > Total number of volumes on server wallace partition /vicepl: 1=20
> > bfactory.vol2                     536871896 RW   83886080 K Off-line
> >=20
> > Total volumes onLine 0 ; Total volumes offLine 1 ; Total busy 0
> >=20
> > Please note that the server is running IBM/Transarc version 3.6
(though
> > it may not matter in this case).
> >=20
> > My questions are:
> >=20
> > a) What went wrong ?
> > b) What chance is there that the volumes are identical ?  In other
> > words, is it possible that I can complete the move manually ?
> > c) Is there anyway to compare the 2 volumes ?
> >=20
> > Any help would be very much appreciated
>=20
> I suppose your token expired over night.
>=20
> The vos move command 1st creates a clone of the volume, then dumps
this=20
> clone over to the new partition. This probably takes the long time and

> in this phasis your token expired.
> Then the still off-line volume on the sink side should have been
updated=20
> by an incremental dump of the RW-volume on the source side.
> This either could not happen any more because of the expired token or
it=20
> happened on behalf of the source side volserver without any new rpc=20
> from your vos-command. But then the vldb must be updated by a
ubik-call=20
> from your vos command and that one failed. The next rpc would have=20
> brought on-line the volume on the sink side and other rpcs would hvae=20
> removed the volume and the clone and backup.
>=20
> If the RW-volume has not been modified since the begin of the "vos
move"=20
> the off-line version on the sink side should be complete.

Thanks for the helpful reply.  I think that is what has happened;
certainly the token has expired from the session that was doing the
move.  For safety I will redo the move from start; I think it takes less
that the token lifetime.=20

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory