[OpenAFS] Caching of RW volumes

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:35:54 -0400

Kristian Du <kristian@hitech-sanita.it> writes:

> Hi There,
>
> I was wondering whether afsd/openafs.ko performs any sort of caching of
> the files it fetches from RW volumes. And if it does, does it follow the
> same "rules" used for caching data fetched from RO volumes?
> I was planning to migrate /home on a AFS RW volume and I was worrying
> about an increase in data traffic on the network.

Yes, OpenAFS caches all data, regardless of whether it's readonly
or read-write.  For RW data, the cache manager maintains a callback
for each individual file, whereas readonly data only requires a callback
on the volume.  The fileserver will notify the clients when a file changes
so the client can pull down the new version on the next access.

-derek