[OpenAFS] AFS clients for OSX/Darwin

Ben Poliakoff benp@reed.edu
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:04:14 -0700

* Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> [20060422 10:23]:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Ben Poliakoff wrote:
>
> >   - it seems to handle IP address changes (and transitions from
> >     wired to wireless ethernet) more gracefully than OpenAFS
>
> Details? I routinely change addresses.
>
> >changes in network connectivity (-dynroot and -fakestat, while useful,
> >don't address the issue).  With Arla or the Windows client one can
>
> You really want -fakestat-all, but...

Here are the options I'm using with afsd (now running the freshly
released 1.4.1 on Tiger):

    -stat 2000 -dcache 800 -daemons 3 -volumes 70 -dynroot -fakestat-all

I frequently get "Operation timed out" messages after changing my IP
address (most commonly occurs when moving from a wired ethernet to a
wireless connection).  These timeout messages *eventually* clear up
(usually after three to five minutes) but I don't see these sorts
of errors when running the Arla client.

My AFS *servers* are still running 1.2.x code (and I have noticed the
'Mobile clients' paragraph in the release notes for 1.4.1), so perhaps
some of this behavior would improve with updates to the servers.  Does
this sound like the sort of problem that might be solved by 1.4.1 on the
servers?

Ben