[OpenAFS] RedHat Itanium kernel module naming convention

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:01:53 -0400

Derek Atkins wrote:
> I don't have an itanium or any way to test the RPMS on such a
> platform.
>
> Just so I understand what you're saying, you need to use the
> openafs.o kernel module from the openafs-kernel-smp RPM on
> your system?

Yes and it seems to work fine. I install the openafs-kernel
module and then replace the openafs.o file with the
one that got built and put in the openafs-kernel-smp
rpm.

> Is there such a thing as a non-SMP itanium RHEL3 system?

If you mean a single processor system then yes. Both
mine happen to be duals. In the information I could find
Red Hat says that any smp kernel "should" run on a single
processor system. My guess is they the made one build of
the itanium processor kernel for both single and multi
processor systems. Red Hat only supplies one kernel.

 From what I have read the Itanium is a dead product for
desktop systems. HP quit making desktop/workstations
and only sells servers. Not sure how important the Itanium
is going to be. Hope to get off ours in the next year
or so.

If you are interested I can give you access to one of
the Itanium machines to play with. One of the machines
is a backup for the other machine that is in production.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175