[OpenAFS] Code to demo NFS/UDP weakness?

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Wed, 02 Aug 2006 22:55:32 +0200 (MEST)

> Doesn't ARLA work fine for *BSD?

5.x. 6.x not ported yet.

> AIX 4.3.1, 4.3.3, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3

There exist versions for all off these. 4.3.1 might only work with
older version of OpenAFS.

> GNU/Linux: Debian Woody and later
> GNU/Linux: Redhat 6.0 and later, RHEL 3 and later
> GNU/Linux: SuSE SLES8 and later
> GNU/Linux: Ubuntu Breezy Badger and later
> GNU/Linux: United Linux 1.0

About alla the Linuxes: If you don't need a bleeding edge kernel
version you will be fine. Be prepared that you might be the first one
to have a combination of HW+distro+OpenAFS and therefore have to
compile your stuff yourself.

> Solaris/sparc: 2.6, 7, 8, 9, 10

2.6 might only woqrk with an older version of OpenAFS.

> Solaris/x86: 10

> Re: backups, that would actually be kind of painful/require custom
> scripting now that our backup vendor (IBM) no longer supports AFS/XBSA
> backups in the latest version of TSM (5.3). I'm thinking we'd need a
> large cheap IDE disk array to do dumps to, and then backup the dumps
> as normal files.

Something along some of the lines....

1. vos dump | bugfixed-adsmpipe jada-jada-jada

2. vos dump > voldump && dsmc inc voldump

3. Decide that RO volumes are "good enough"

4. vos dump > /hsm/file/system/voldump

Harald.