[OpenAFS] Restoring ownership information of filesystem structure on /vicep*

Christof Hanke hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:02:52 +0200

Hi,

Matthias.Gerstner@student.fh-nuernberg.de wrote:

>>Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:
>>
>>Actually, no, it does NOT use anything special from the "inode" per se.
>>It DOES use the Owner, Group and Mode bits (which are standard Unix
>>metadata).  It also uses the size (to know how big the file is).  Why
>>aren't you complaining about that, too?
>>
>>Much of the information is encoded in the directory structure/filename
>>as well..  But... Some information is encoded in the owner/group/mode.
>

> First of all: There was no offense intended. I like AFS. But it surely isn't perfect in every aspect as nearly no software is.
>
> I don't work with the internals of AFS so I'm not competent to give any reliable statements about it.
>
> But AFS obviously relies on the features of the underlying filesystem as some filesystems like ReiserFS don't work for it.
This is only true for the client-cache (/usr/vice/cache), but not for
the file-server partition(/vicep??).

> And I'm pretty sure the file permission and ownership information was not intended to provide information for a higher level file structure but just to control access to files.
>
> If you take a look into the file structure you'll feel at a glance that it doesn't seem good or right to have permissions and ownership assigned in a meaningless way. Meaningless in respect to the UNIX file system.
>
> It works for AFS for many years now that's for sure. But I think a change of this approach could ease the use of AFS and perhaps add more flexibility in some places. Anyway it's an interesting topic in my opinion.

The namei-interface is as flexible as it can get. Using only POSIX- or
whatever metadata on a filesystem guarantees that you can use all of
them, including reiserfs. This might seem ugly to you, but is quite
protable (which usually means ugly if you have enough OS's to port to ;)
I guess you're a bit confused about client-cache, Namei-server and
inode-server. There's lots of information about these three cases on
this list.

Christof