[OpenAFS] DB servers: simultaneous use of 2 OpenAFS versions

Frederic Gilbert Frederic.Gilbert@inria.fr
Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:47:42 +0200

Hi,

We have 3 DB servers to upgrade, hardware + OS + OpenAFS (1.2.13 to 1.4.1).
These upgrades imply moving the data volumes out of the old server,
doing hardware and software install, and moving the data back into the
new server.
I estimate that upgrading one server could take about 3 days (most of it
used for transfers), and I can upgrade only one at a time (spare room
for moved data).

This means that, during about 10 days, DB servers with 2 different
versions of OpenAFS will have to cohabit (1 x 1.4.1 and 2 x 1.2.13, then
2 x 1.4.1 and 1 x 1.2.13, before the final 3 x 1.4.1).

Once upon a time, AFS documentation said that all DB servers must run
the same AFS version, and so that they should be upgraded in the
shortest lapse of time.
Is this still true? Is the above 10 days cohabitation possible, or what
are the problems likely to arise?

Thanks for your help,
Frederic Gilbert.