[OpenAFS] DB servers seperate from fileservers

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:44:01 -0400

On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:03 , Christopher D. Clausen wrote:

> John Hascall <john@iastate.edu> wrote:
>>> This means that, during about 10 days, DB servers with 2 different
>>> versions of OpenAFS will have to cohabit (1 x 1.4.1 and 2 x 1.2.13,
>>> then 2 x 1.4.1 and 1 x 1.2.13, before the final 3 x 1.4.1).
>>
>> I suspect it will work.  None the less it sounds like you
>> have put fileservers on your DB servers.  This is really
>> not ideal.
>
> Why not?  I too run fileservers on AFS DB servers.

I wouldn't say it's necessary, especially in a small cell, but it
does make things easier.

The other suggestion I'd make is to put /vicep* on external disks
(preferably RAID...).  This makes upgrades almost trivial:  shut down
old fileserver, unplug disk from old machine, plug into replacement,
boot.  (Well, with a hostname change for the new machine, presumably.)

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery@kf8nh.com