[OpenAFS] DB servers: simultaneous use of 2 OpenAFS versions

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:54:05 -0700

Frederic Gilbert <Frederic.Gilbert@inria.fr> writes:

> This means that, during about 10 days, DB servers with 2 different
> versions of OpenAFS will have to cohabit (1 x 1.4.1 and 2 x 1.2.13, then
> 2 x 1.4.1 and 1 x 1.2.13, before the final 3 x 1.4.1).

> Once upon a time, AFS documentation said that all DB servers must run
> the same AFS version, and so that they should be upgraded in the
> shortest lapse of time.  Is this still true? Is the above 10 days
> cohabitation possible, or what are the problems likely to arise?

The Transarc documentation is overly conservative in this respect because
they reserved the right to change the database format between versions.
We haven't changed the database format since the beginning of OpenAFS, so
they should co-exist without any trouble.