[OpenAFS] DB servers seperate from fileservers

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:49:41 -0400

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

>>I was specifically talking about DB servers.  Having one of them go
>>down, provided there are no volumes on that server, should not cause a
>>problem, right?
>
> In theory, no.  In practice ... it's annoying.
>
> The problem is that AFS clients pick a DB server to talk to at random,
> and for most cases stick with that server.  For a long-running bit of
> software like the cache manager, a single server going down isn't a huge
> problem; the client notices that server X is down, and then won't use
> that server again.  But for userland programs, they have no idea what
> the current state is for ubik servers, so they pick one at random ...
> and sometimes they pick the down one, and you get delays when using
> "vos" or "pts".  Those commands will eventually work ... they just
> sometimes take a while to find the right DB servers.

I wonder if we could add a cache manager query so that apps could
ask the cache manager for server stats?  Obviously this would be
an optional query, and the app should continue to use the current
random choice if there is no cache manager.  But I think it would
help this case if there were some way to store this kind of state
on a client.

> --Ken

-derek