[OpenAFS] DB servers seperate from fileservers

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:30:29 -0400

>As it turns out, VIOCCKSERV does not report up/down state for database
>servers (though it does probe them, if you asked for probing).  However,
>the cache manager does maintain preferences for both fileservers and
>vlservers, and VIOCGETSPREFS can be used to retrieve either set.

Okay, I admit that the whole "server ranking" code is kinda scary, and
I am likely missing something.  But ... is it just me, or is the server
rank based totally on an old idea of "network proximity" (guess based
on IP address similarity) plus a random number, and the server's
up/down status does not figure into the rank at all?

--Ken