[OpenAFS] Further TransArc -> OpenAFS musings/planning

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:28:54 -0400

>I don't know of any reason why this wouldn't work, but I have to admit
>that I'm really partial to transferring the database over protocol rather
>than making the new server read the old disk file format.  I know that if
>you bring up a new server and let Ubik handle the replication, you don't
>have to worry about endianness, word size, etc., and I'm not sure about
>just copying the disk file.

AFAIK, Ubik's concept is a "shared disk file"; at the level replication
is handled, it has no idea what the underlying database format is.
So while I also prefer to have Ubik copy it over, just using cp or
whatever should be fine (all of the AFS databases use network byte
order internally).

--Ken