[OpenAFS] AFS cell path shortcuts

Kevin Hildebrand kevin@umd.edu
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:09:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, we are shortly going to have an opportunity to do some redesign of
our AFS cell, and I'm wondering what others have done in the following
situation-

Currently, on all of our machines, we have a local filesystem link "/:"
that points to either the RW cell (/afs/.glue.umd.edu), or the RO cell
(/afs/glue.umd.edu).

(/: was picked following the DCE/DFS convention).

This makes it very easy for us to switch a machine from looking at the RO
cell (production) to the RW cell (development), without having to specify
alternate paths.  Everything on the machine references /: instead of one
of the direct paths.  i.e.,  /usr/local is a symlink to
/:/system/1.5/@sys/usr/local.   So you can install things into /usr/local
by switching one symlink.

This scheme works superbly with one exception- the ':' character won't
work in certain places like PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.

I'm thinking of replacing the /: link with something like /cell to
eliminate this problem.

Has anyone else done something similar?

Thanks,

Kevin Hildebrand