[OpenAFS] access control lists

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:11:04 -0400

On Aug 22, 2006, at 15:37 , Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> These options are specific to the GNU versions of find and xargs,
> respectively.  What they do is make find separate filenames it
> outputs with NUL's rather than newlines, and make xargs expect that
> behavior.  If you don't have GNU find and xargs, you'll have to
> either hope that you don't have any filenames containing
> whitespace, or use one of the other tools mentioned.

Not entirely true:  FreeBSD's implementations of find and xargs,
which are not from GNU, have these options.  I think this is also
true of NetBSD.

> Actually, you should be able to punt this entirely.  Without this
> switch, xargs will use as many parameters as it can fit, given the
> system's limits on the number of arguments and their total size.

...unless it's an old unix vendor's xargs (hello, Sun!), which will
clamp at 512 arguments and/or 512 (or if you're lucky, 5120) bytes
per command line because nobody ever modified them to realize they're
not on 7th research edition any more.

--
brandon s. allbery     [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]
allbery@kf8nh.com