[OpenAFS] OpenAFS vs NFSv4 (linux)

Lars Wilke lw@root-home-bla-stuff.de
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:34:11 +0200

* Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Lars Wilke wrote:
> >* Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> >>It depends what you mean by incompatible.
> >
> >Hm, i meant that here
> >
> >  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
> >
> >Look in the incompatible section.
>
> "Whether it is compatible with the GNU GPL. (This means you can combine a
> module which was released under that license with a GPL-covered module to
> make one larger program.)"

Please note i am not a lawyer and my english is probably not good enough to
discuss this in full detail. I would bet that regarding of the country
you live in the rules regarding the GPL are interpreted more less differently.

That said i would be very happy to have the OpenAFS Module included in mainline.
But the controversial point regarding the GPL AFAIU is that if you link stuff
into a GPLed program (the kernel) it becomes infected by the GPL, too.

   http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLModuleLicense

Though i remember reading about an exception to this rule, hmpf can't find
it atm.

> Well, ok, but when I am done I have a module, and I have a kernel. Did I
> combine them? That's the crux of the issue.

Well, it depends ... :)
If you link one against the other, i guess, yes you combined them.

> Next time I boot, I still have to do it again. So I argue...

Yeah and i bet there are different opinions on that in different countries.
So either build a kernel for different countries or don't include it.
But as i said i am no lawyer.

cheers

   --lars