[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for Windows and the MS loopback adapter

Jay Stamps jstamps@stanford.edu
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:00:05 -0700

Howdy:

A couple of observations that one may interpret as questions...

1) Installing the MS LBA is a tricky business, granted. But every
time I've run the installer for OpenAFS for Windows 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 (I
haven't tested 1.4.2, but see next paragraph) on an XP or 2003
system, when the LBA is installed there's a long delay, eventually a
message appears stating that the installer is "Calling ExecMethod" w/
a 20-second countdown, and after 20 seconds a miracle seems to occur:
The adapter is installed and configured.

Testing OpenAFS 1.5.6 (haven't tried 1.5.7), I see that the LBA
appears to languish for some time while "acquiring network address"
before the installer prompts for a reboot. ("Acquiring network
address" is in fact the point at which the delay occurs for all the
installers I've tested.)

I'm curious as to why the LBA's installation and configuration take
so long, or at any rate am interested to know whether others have
observed this behavior, or have found a better way.

2) Why does the OpenAFS installer (even for 1.5.6) create an entry in
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts? Some anti-spyware tools,
which pay attention to the hosts file given its frequent use by
hijackers, react by throwing an "unable to resolve IP" error b/c the
LBA has a 10/8 address. Other anti-spyware software (I'm told)
behaves even more aggressively. I suspect this AFS hosts file entry
is no longer really necessary, but that's only a hunch. What
documentation (random postings, really) I've been able to dig up
suggests that maybe it once was needed; but is it needed still?
Anyone have any experience in this area?

I've already noted w/in others' earshot that the anti-spyware
software (OK, Spy Sweeper, in wide use at Stanford) is stupid to try
to resolve an RFC 1918 address, but anyway, there ya have it...

Thanks.

-Jay