[OpenAFS] service start failure

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:55:16 -0400

We recently encountered an issue where the AFS service wouldn't start and
Windows would throw a Dr. Watson error.  The users laptop we were looking
at ran Windows 2000.  After a few hours scratching my head and wearing out
my fingers I noticed that the laptops computername was 12+ characters (i
don't remember the actual number).  I changed the computername to 3
characters and that solved the problem.

I thought that using the loopback adapter with name "AFS" solved the issue
with needing a special "short" computername.  I guess not.

Note:  I was trying to install 1.4.1.0002.

Rodney