[OpenAFS] Cache size problems on 1.4.1, Solaris 8,9

Kevin Hildebrand kevin@umd.edu
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:02:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, lately we've been seeing problems with our cache partitions
overfilling on our Solaris 8 and 9 machines running 1.4.1.

For example:

%/usr/vice/etc/fs getcache
AFS using 448078 of the cache's available 877506 1K byte blocks.

%df -k /usr/vice/cache
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4    1018382 1012346       0   100%    /usr/vice/cache

%cat /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo
/afs:/usr/vice/cache:877506

This problem seems to have started when we switched to 1.4.1.  (I believe
we jumped versions to get to 1.4.1, so the problem may have appeared in an
earlier version...)

The only solution we've found is to reboot the troubled machine, after
which the cache behaves normally.  I have not yet been able to determine a
set of conditions that cause the cache to overfill, we've just been
kicking the machines as we find them.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Kevin Hildebrand