[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS web site design help?

Mike Bydalek mbydalek@contentconnections.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:43:06 -0700

--------------090108000409050007000008

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Franco <senseiwa@mac.com> writes:
>

>> I have a suggestion to make things a little easier. I've come around
>> Zope content management and particularly I was attacted by Plone, a AJAX
>> (afaik) CMS.
>>

>> It seems promising and quite easy to use, with some add-ons that can
>> help in some tasks (users, svn access, mailing lists, search facilities,
>> wikis...).
>>

> Okay, so, here's my personal feeling about a content-management system for
> something like this.  This is just my personal take; others may have other
> opinions.
>
> I, and I think the rest of the Gatekeepers are in the same boat, don't
> have time to learn a CMS, deploy a CMS, or do the work required to get it
> running, nor do the people who have graciously been providing system
> administration support for the OpenAFS project.  Setting one up usually
> also requires administrative access to the web server on which it would be
> running, which poses other challenges.
>
> [snip]

Russ, I have to say I agree with you here.  Setting up a CMS can be a
pain and it is really difficult to recover when the maintainer leaves.
I'm actually going through that right now since one of my employees left
and I'm now stuck learning his custom Drupal install!

This seems like a good time to offer a suggestion, and one that I
thought I would toss out there would be something that I find to be a
little easier to maintain than a CMS, but also doesn't deal with the
problems with various people producing pure HTML.

I would suggest having a look at Guide XML, which is what the Gentoo
project uses to do everything on their site.  You can find more
information about the project here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/site.xml  Also, there are some examples of
what the Gentoo project uses here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml

For our documentation site, we use this internally as it allows anyone
to really contribute without knowing proper HTML - they just have to
look at the XML tags we use.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Mike

--------------090108000409050007000008

<head>
</head>
Russ Allbery wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Franco <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:senseiwa@mac.com">&lt;senseiwa@mac.com&gt;</a> writes:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I have a suggestion to make things a little easier. I've come around
Zope content management and particularly I was attacted by Plone, a AJAX
(afaik) CMS.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">It seems promising and quite easy to use, with some add-ons that can
help in some tasks (users, svn access, mailing lists, search facilities,
wikis...).
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Okay, so, here's my personal feeling about a content-management system for
something like this.  This is just my personal take; others may have other
opinions.

I, and I think the rest of the Gatekeepers are in the same boat, don't
have time to learn a CMS, deploy a CMS, or do the work required to get it
running, nor do the people who have graciously been providing system
administration support for the OpenAFS project.  Setting one up usually
also requires administrative access to the web server on which it would be
running, which poses other challenges.

[snip]
  </pre>
Russ, I have to say I agree with you here.&nbsp; Setting up a CMS can be a
pain and it is really difficult to recover when the maintainer leaves.&nbsp;
I'm actually going through that right now since one of my employees
left and I'm now stuck learning his custom Drupal install!<br>
This seems like a good time to offer a suggestion, and one that I
thought I would toss out there would be something that I find to be a
little easier to maintain than a CMS, but also doesn't deal with the
problems with various people producing pure HTML.<br>
I would suggest having a look at Guide XML, which is what the Gentoo
project uses to do everything on their site.&nbsp; You can find more
information about the project here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/site.xml">http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/site.xml</a>&nbsp; Also, there are some examples
of what the Gentoo project uses here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml">http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xml-guide.xml</a><br>
For our documentation site, we use this internally as it allows anyone
to really contribute without knowing proper HTML - they just have to
look at the XML tags we use.<br>
Just my $0.02.<br>
Regards,<br>
Mike<br>