[OpenAFS] AFS on FreeBSD 6.1

Jerold McAllister jerrymc@msu.edu
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:33:46 -0400

Jim Rees,

Thanks for continuing to help on this.

> You might try arla.  It's been reported to work on FreeBSD.

Yes, at FreeBSD 5.xxx, but I am at 6.1 and really didn't
want to back up.   I may try to steal a machin from downstairs
and put 5.5 on it and try that.

Anyway, I kldload-ed the libafs.ko file.  It seemed happy with that.
Then I started afsd and it did start and run a bit until I tried to
cd in to a place there were real directories  /afs/msu/user/...  and
then it crashed the whole system.   I just rebooted and haven't even
looked at the log yet to see if it contains anything useful.
But, it appeared that the lockmgr was what killed the system.  It put out
part of a console message:
 Lock Manager  Upgrade without shared
Then it quit

Just looked and the system log has nothing.  It just shows a new boot.

I don't have a clue how to find the places to fix that or much
of anything about programming locks.

Anyway, that seems to verify the statement that the problem is
with managing locks in FreeBSD.

////jerry