[OpenAFS] windows explorer refresh required in particular circumstances

Jason Cowart jcowart@stanford.edu
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:13:38 -0800

We've traditionally had Widows users mount AFS drives by mapping to a
drive letter using the Net Use command.  Recently we've begun
experimenting with instead using UNC paths to create a connection in
"My Network Places."

In testing this a couple of our staff have run into a problem where
they have to manually refresh Windows explorer to see updates to the
AFS directory.  This only occurs for them when both of the following
are true:

* They're using the UNC path to access the directory
* They're logged into our Windows domain

If they log directly into the local machine, the problem does not
occur.  If they log into the domain, but map the directory to a drive
letter it doesn't occur.

This is using OpenAFS for Windows 1.5.10.

Any thoughts?