[OpenAFS] question about zap/delete volumes

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:31:40 -0500

On Monday, November 27, 2006 11:13:01 AM +0100 Lars Schimmer
<l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at> wrote:

> Christof Hanke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> no, "vos remove" does delete the data on the server.
>> "vos remsite" deletes only the entry.
>
> Damn it. I do to much at once.
> vos remsite was the right command.
>
>> But note that you do not gain any (or not much) space by deleting a RO
>> which resides on the same partition as the RW. This is due to the fact,
>> that only differences to the RW are stored.
>
> I know. But I had a 40 GB RO volume on the partition and the RW on
> another server. Thursday I saw space will be limited and I vos remsite
> the RO and thought everything is fine... Today I ran into partition full
> and one AFS client ran into problems because of this.

'vos remsite' removes only the VLDB's record of an RO site.
If you want to remove the RO volume as well, you should instead do

vos remove <ro-server> <ro-partition> <volume>.readonly

If you've already done the remsite, you can use 'vos zap' to delete the RO
volume from the server.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer