[OpenAFS] Re: safe+portable way to determine if byte-range-locking is dangerous?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:08:25 -0800

Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:
> Does sqlite make any attempt today to see if byte range locking works,

Sure -- it checks whether fcntl(fd,F_SETLK,&flock)==0.

...unless you mean actually checking at runtime to see if it's
possible to violate a lock that has been "granted".  Interesting.
This is the most promising suggestion I've heard so far.  I'm going to
run this by the sqlite people.

> Does sqlite have any afs-aware logic today?

I am interested in adding such logic, but there are a number of
factors that might prevent my changes from having any hope of being
accepted upstream.  But the autoconf-style "don't believe it until you
witness it" approach sounds very promising.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380