[OpenAFS] another approach for detecting byte-range-lock safeness

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 16:32:48 -0800

Is Linux the *only* currently-deployed (ie <=1.4.x) AFS client that
implements client-local byte range locking?

If so, perhaps I can check what OS is running, use some hardwired
syscall value if OS==Linux, and use the fork()-and-fcntl(F_SETLK) to
look for (local) enforcement of byte-range locks if OS!=Linux.

Any obvious flaws in this?  Has the AFS syscall() value been the same
on Linux throughout history?

If any other platforms acquire byte-range locking abilities in the
future, I would cross my fingers and hope that they either get "safe"
byte-range locks or else simultaneously get some API for asking if the
byte-range locks are fake.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380