[OpenAFS] Problem building openafs on kernel 2.6.18.2-34-default

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 05:16:00 -0800

Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu> writes:

>> Hm?  I've always found the error messages in config.log.  I've diagnosed
>> probably a dozen of these build failures from config.log output; usually
>> it's a straightforward compiler error that points to a missing include,
>> structure, or the like.  Or is this an issue with a current Linux that
>> causes this to stop working?

> 2.6 uses kbuild, not cc.  The logic for this is in
> 	AC_TRY_KBUILD26
> which is defined in
> 	src/cf/linux-test1.m4
> It should save standard error, so, yes, there is *some* stuff.

> The vanilla openafs logic here doesn't explicitly save the command or
> the test fragments that failed.  That means it's not always easy to
> figure out exactly what broke.  I came up with this patch after I had a
> build break and had to figure out why.

[...]

Just to clarify, I certainly wasn't objecting to a patch that tries a
generic build first and only then moves on to do probes!  I've been
wanting that for a long time.  I was just saying that the error messages
in config.log have generally been enough for me to figure out what was
going on.

The patch sounds like a great idea to me, and I'll try to take a look at
it sometime today in penance for not understanding what you were getting
at the first time.  :)