[OpenAFS] Re: Openafs Failover Problem

Stefan Heimers stefan.usenet@heimers.ch
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:22:44 +0100

Chris Huebsch wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Stefan Heimers wrote:
>
>> But if I don't do a graceful shutdown, but rather turn off the power on
>> one machine, the afs server won't work on the other. Filesystems are
>> mounted, processes are started, but the clients cannot access afs
>> directories.
>
> Are you sure, that your fileserver is really running and ready to serve
> client requests. After the fsck by the OS, afs runs a kind of fsck on it
> own (called salvager).
>
> Is it possible that the salvager just did not finish its work?
>

> Chris

Hello,

I think I found my problem. It is the /etc/openafs/server-local/SALVAGE.fs
file, which is lying on the wrong machine in case of an unclean failover.
This file is created when bos starts, and deleted on a clean shutdown.

On a crash, this file remains and tells bos to salvage on the next startup.
Naturally, this is not useful if I start bos on an other machine.

I will probably move the server-local directory to common external storage
as well, or just touch SALVAGE.fs on startup.

Stefan

--
http://www.heimers.ch