[OpenAFS] Re: listing the obstacles to multiple fileservers on one machine

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:57:44 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Adam Megacz wrote:
>> What are the problems with running multiple servers, assuming I
>> compiled multiple copies of OpenAFS (with different --prefix=
>> configure arguments) and somehow managed to get each one to think that
>> the machine only had one network interface (and each copy saw a
>> different interface)?

> Nothing, really, which cleverly is why I already said that when you
> asked basically the same question hours ago :)

Sorry!

By the way, it looks like there's a moderately-easy way to achieve
network interface isolation (on Linux at least); it looks like you can
use the "chbind" command from the VServer project without going to the
trouble of setting up a whole virtual machine (its own filesystem, etc)

  http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/chbind.8.html

I'm waiting to be allocated a second IP; once I get it and try it out
I'll let you all know if this crazy scheme actually works.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380