[OpenAFS] home on afs woes

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:13:00 -0500

On Friday, January 06, 2006 10:31:10 AM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> At the same time the directory format is extended to support Unicode
> we should also make changes to support multiple data streams per file
> and a method of supporting additional file attributes.

Those are changes to the vnode metadata, not the directory structure.
We'll do them, but the directory changes have been designed and merely lack
implementation, whereas the vnode metadata changes will require changes in
the way the fileserver stores that data and new RPC's, neither of which
have been designed.  The two sets of changes are orthogonal; I see no need
to do them "at the same time" or make support for one dependent on the
other.

Getting a directory format that would be backward compatible with existing
clients was a tricky bit of work, but I think we succeeded.  Doing that for
vnode indexes will also be tricky.  This will almost certainly require
another lengthy design session.  But this is getting a bit off-topic for
-info...

-- Jeff