[OpenAFS] Re: "mount -t nfs otherserver:stuff /vicepa" ==> bad?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:53:48 -0500

On Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:32:52 AM -0800 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>> Well, do you care if your fileserver hangs clients when the nfs server
>> becomes unreachable?
>
> No.  Or rather, the probability of the afs server itself becoming
> unreachable is nearly as high, and I am comfortable with the
> differential.

Are you?

If a fileserver becomes unreachable, clients will fail over to another one,
for replicated volumes.

If a fileserver ACK's a client's request and takes forever to fulfull it,
the client will happily wait forever, as long as the fileserver keeps
responding to ack-requests.